Subject: [Leica] Evercolor, LaserJet 5000, and Chromira
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 17:02:24 -0800

Bill Nordstrom is the originator of Evercolor. He was located in Eldorado
Hills (near Sacramento) CA. Photographic Arts, Inc. (John Wawrzonek) and
Evercolor merged, and moved the operation to the east coast (Worcester,
MA), including Bill ( http://www.evercolor.com ). At some point, Bill left
Evercolor and founded Laser Light Photographics in Aptos, CA, (40 miles
from here) and uses a LaserJet 5000, (by Cymbolic Sciences, Inc.,
http://www.colourconcepts.com/lightjet.htm ) There is a lot of difference
between the original Evercolor process and the LaserJet process. The
Evercolor process produced full size separation films (a 20x24 print
requires 20x24 film). These films (CMYK films) were then contact printed
via a pigment transfer process to produce the very very archival and super
sharp Evercolor print. It's more of a printing process than a photographic
process. The LaserJet 5000 process prints on photographic paper using
lasers. ZBE has a new machine to compete with the LaserJet, called the
Chromira ( http://www.zbe.com/chromira.htm#open ). It uses leds rather than
a laser. The output is stunning.

All of these processes start with a drum scan.

Jim