Subject: [Leica] Re: Ernst Hartmann
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:40:51 -0800

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I've known Ernst Hartmann for a
very long time. As has Ted. My first "fine art" sale was to his wife
Gisela. I can, without reservation, tell you that Ernst will say exactly
the same thing that Ted, me, and a few others have been saying all along.
Breathe on it, wipe it with a relatively soft clean cloth. Use ROR or some
other lens cleaner if there is muck on it. Ernst usually uses compressed
air, breath, then a chamois. The same chamois all day. I've seen him pull a
microcloth out of his pocket and use it. As a few of us have said, those of
you that place your equipment on a pedestal, had better not take your
equipment in to a "clean and check". It WILL BE CLEANED!!! and checked. If
you have a weak stomach, stay home. But remember, these are not toys. They
are professional tools and are made to endure the rigors of hard use and
the environment.

There is no magic in cleaning a lens. A clean soft cloth. Chamois.
Microcloth. Underwear. Whatever. A little breath, or even a dab of ROR.
Then wipe until you are satisfied that it is clean. Look at reflected light
off of the surface to see if you left any streaks. A greasy fingerprint can
leave a streak. ROR (Residual Oil Remover) will make quick work of any
greasy deposit on your lens. No magic. Just no sand or other grit. If you
suspect grit, use compressed air and/or a brush first.

This is all simply common sense. It is not rocket science. It is a lens.
The coating is hard. It should be kept clean so the coating can do its
photographic job. So clean it!

Jim