Subject: Re: [Leica] JB, filters, flames, and technique
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 05:55:05 +0100

Ted,

Thanks for a very refreshing post, as usual.  My quote you refered to
was in the middle of a post of mine arguing that there is some waste of
energy to go on arguing about the 'superiority' or 'awesomeness' of
brand lines one compared to the other. I find that debate gathers more
misinformation and irrationality than communication about verifiable
facts.

Your criterium is impossible to attack: there is no alternative to the
Noctilux anywhere in the world right now. And the options that might get
near it (Canon f1 or the best f1.2 offers from others) are not
necessarily cheaper. Anyway they do not fit on a rangefinder...

My own Leica criteria are based on the functionnalities the system
brings compared to the price it costs. There are quite a few things that
distinguish the M line from what is available on the market apart from
so-called 'awesome' glass. The fact that that glass is generally
recognized as of high quality is simply reassuring when paying the bill
and examining the end results: any failure is solely on the side of the
user, not on the side of the gear.

My recurrent (and boring for others) point of friction here is when
discussing the reality of the competitive advantage that would be
brought by a similar level of investment in the R line compared to other
SLR options available on the market.

I am quite aware you use that SLR line as well, next to your M system.
But I do not believe you argue that it brings you a verifiable
competitive advantage in imaging quality compared to other SLR choices
you could have made: you seem to use because you like it and because it
provides you with a satisfying crop of images.

For potential buyers, there is quite a difference between that and
statements arguing that the competitive advantage provided by the system
is easily recognisable, even in printed media.

Friendly regards
Alan