Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Ads/image
From: cb <chribeck@mdc-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:41:32 +0200

Donald wrote:
>We've been through this before.  To recap: Leica feels their major
>market is the rich amateurs.  See my earlier post of camera store not
>wanting Pro clientele--they don't spend enough money.  Amateurs buy a
>bunch, trade it in, buy more, etc.  Bucks.

>Maybe they are right.  But of course with ads like this, they are
>doing self fulfillment of expectations.  Most of the pros I know have >no idea of what Leica is all about except price.  THEY see the line
>as a line for dilettantes.  Especially the Rs.  I'll bet most pros
>have never taken a photo with a Leica.

I agree. I think LEITZ made the last effort to regather the pro market
with the SL2 (and at the time in germany indeed a substantion of them
used them). But LEICA never made any attempts towards this market.
They saw they could live better and with less effort selling to the rich
amateurs. Not only because the rich amateurs buy more but because these
are less demanding, are often more willing to forgive quality glitches
So again, the current Leica Ads are well on target.
Christian