Subject: [Leica] Food for thought for Thanksgiving
From: Thomas Pastorello <tmp@mailbox.syr.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 10:55:44 -0500 (EST)

   As food for thought for Thanksgiving, I'd like to share my thinking
about Leica lens quality relative to a number of recent threads.  Lately,
and as always, the praises of such lenses as the Summilux-M 75 or
Noctilux-M 50 have been sung on these digital pages.  At the same time we
read in awe the diligently done and generously provided reports of Erwin
Puts on the latest marvels from Solms, such as the 2/90 APO/ASPH, while we
debate the interpretation of MTF curves. There has been a profound change
at Leica and I think we are not fully aware of its full implications.
The difference between a Summilux-M 75 and an APO/ASPH Summicron 90 is
more than focal length.
   Mr. Puts tells us, in his post of 11/14, that the new ASPH lenses, with
such characteristics as their *capacity for recording the finest possible
detail ... is the hallmark of the New Design Principles by Mr. Kolsch.*
Do we remember the old design principles? Perhaps they were best stated by
Gunther Osterloh in his book LEICA M (Umschau, 1986): *Leitz is guided by
the knowledge that Leica cameras and their lenses are generally used for
the photographic reproduction of 3-dimensional objects ... this has a
bearing on the design of Leitz lenses ... they are not optimized for the
photography of flat test patterns.  Those who attempt to evaluate the
performance capabilities of Leitz lenses with the help of test charts and
MTF curves will ... get the wrong picture.* [his pun intended] (pp.53-55)
   In my judgement, and apparent judgement of many on this listserve,
the lenses designed under the old philosophy, are not merely of superb
quality -- they are unique in their characteristics.  The test-chart
maligned non-ASPH lenses, the 21-M 2.8, 35-M 1.4, 35-M 2.0, 50-M 1.0 and
1.4, 75-M 1.4, 90-M 2.0 and 135-M 4.0, provide incredible
three-dimensional sculpting in a 2-dimensional image, great subtlety of
tonal gradation even in shadow, edge contrast which delineates and
separates fore-, mid- and back-ground objects and yes, *bokeh* of unique
aesthetic quality for the out-of-focus portions of the image.
   I've used the old and the new lenses.  The ASPH lenses are sharp.  They
provide detail and flatness of field. Next time I want to photograph a
test chart, I'll use Kodachrome 25 and an ASPH lens -- or a macro Nikkor
for the same results at less expense.  When I want to take spontaneous
made photographs of people in natural situations, I'll use Tri-X or Gold
400 and the non-ASPH M lenses -- and here the Nikkors won't do at all.
   I fear that Solms has sold-out.  They now play the test-chart game to
compete with the Japanese lens manufacturers.  They've abandoned their
original quest to be different -- and the MFT curves be damned. Thier
appeal now is to the mass market. The technocrats have won out over the
artists.  For those of us who see photography as a creative tool for
personal and aesthetic expression, these are sad days.  The Leica era is
over.
   Happy Thanksgiving for all the other wonderful things we still
have!  Please keep the holiday spirit and don't flame me.

                                       Tom Pastorello