Subject: [Leica] RE: How you can give your image that professional touch
From: "Milton, Jack" <JMilton@pressherald.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 18:25:31 -0500

	Donal Philby wrote:
	>Do you see Leica ads in the NPPA bulletin?  Or the ASMP
bulletin?  Do
> you see Leica reps at professional conferences?  How much does that
> tell
> you about their attitude toward pros?  They won't even tell pros about
> the gear. <

 It's too bad and shortsighted,  because as a working newsphotographer
I've bet I've "sold" dozens and dozens of Nikon cameras and lenses. I,
and other working photographers, are one of the best advertisements for
a camera there is.
 At least once a week someone comes up to me and asks what kind of
equipment I use, and at other times I may in front of hundreds or
thousands of spectators at a sporting or news event-a walking
advertisement with two bodies and several lenses.
 Nikon advertises to pros and amateurs, and they take care of the
professionals. They make equipment for pros (how many amateurs buy 600mm
f/4 lenses?) and make sure we have fast motor drives (are you listening,
Leica?). They provide free loaners while our equipment is being repaired
on priority, and will loan an exotic lens, or underwater camera that we
don't own for a special project - free. Their reps offer free checkups
and minor repairs at trade shows, and loaners and servicing at major
news events. They have pro-reps who make it their business to meet their
pro users and provide free workshops onsite on the latest flash
techniques or digital cameras and scanning.
 I own a bunch of Leica equipment, but seldom use it for work anymore.

- -Jack Milton
http://www.agate.net/~jmilton/index.html