Subject: [Leica] Cleaning, filters, tests, developer, www info
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:27:54 -0800

I have to say, it seems like there are a lot of folks that operate from
fear (real or imagined), old wives tales, and most of all, illogical thinking.

You all know how the head of Leica Service cleans lenses.

You all know what the Leica web site says about filters.

You all know that what a static lens test says, has little or no bearing on
how that lens performs in the real world, real subjects, real light.

I've quoted, verbatim, text directly out of Leica books and manuals. I've
quoted, verbatim, Erwin Puts. Since I've been photographing for so many
years, I throw in experience that corroborates Leica and Erwin.

Yet the LUG is filled with messages taking these well known sources and
facts to task.

And as a result, it certainly seems fruitless for anyone to attempt to pass
along tried and true, Leica originated, user tested, information.

And you all actually believe that Erwin has a brother named Hubert... hah!

So my official position, from now on, is:

Never clean your lens. Use a cheaper filter, to protect your expensive
filter, which is hermetically welded on, protecting your front element
coating. Remember, photo theory is based on "coating protection."

Never read any Leica or Erwin originated documentation. It's all wrong.
Hubert's stuff is suspect as well.

And please, develop only in 1:1 Rodinal for 20 minutes, constant agitation,
or use my very simple formula below.

I have a great, simple, formula for you to use. Stellar results. Absolutely
ZERO grain. The result is as smooth as celluloid. Enhances Bokeh! Also
works as a cheap filter cleaner.

1   part   AMMONIUM THIOSULFATE
10 parts WATER

Process 5 minutes at any temperature. Any agitation style will work. No
need to wash. Just file the film right out of the soup. In the circular
file! ;-)

For those of you that don't know anything, go to
http://www.88.com/exposure/lowrez_i.htm

For those of you that know everything, here's something new:
  http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/PLANTanswers/recipes/dirtcake.html

Jim

DOUBLE ARCHIVE THIS!

PS..