Subject: [Leica] Re: DonMcCullin
From: cb <chribeck@mdc-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 11:24:57 +0200

>I enjoy Don's later work very much, his Wiltshire landscapes were
>ignored by most of the media here but I love them, a deep sense of
>mood pervades them, darkness and dismality but with enough light to
>express hope too.

I feel his landscapes are harder to withstand than his war photography.
It is as if they reflect all those experiences he had without showing
them anymore. A suffering child is a suffering child. But his landscapes
are full of dead and wounded people without a single one to see. You see
the and you know why they are dark. This abstraction has somewhat more
impact than the war pictures. And I do not see any hope. It is
completely abandonned.

Christian