Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica's Development and Management
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 18:40:03 -0800 (PST)

From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)

If one were to let their imagination go wild for a moment:

Nikon thinking Leica appear to be falling on their face (not true)
decide,

- - - - snip - - -

Hi Ted,

I don't believe that the people in Solms realize how vulnerable they
are.

A company like Nikon, for example, could put out an advanced RF body
with DX coding, better frame lines, auto exposure, with an M mount,
and severly impact the sales at Leica.

For that matter, even a talented person like Tom Abrahamsom could buy
Konica Hexars wholesale, put a Leica M lnes mount on it, resell it and
drive the folks at Leica nuts.  This is a real threat because there
are probably a lot of people who would be willing to back him.

With the Internet, a small manufacture could get the word out about a
new body with an M lens mount in a matter of weeks if not days.  An
effective Internet site and a FEDEX and/or DHL account would provide
instant worldwide distribution.  I would think that there are a lot of
'unofficial' Leica dealers who would jump at the chance to handle a
product like this.

I believe that Leica is a company that has great potential. But the
new CEO is going to have to assemble a team that is hell bent on
re-establishing Leica in it's rightful place in the photographic
equipment industry.

Boy Ted, I sure hope the people in Solm appreciate all of the free
consulting time we are giving them.

Kind regards,

Bill Erfurth