Subject: RE: [Leica] Nikkor question
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 22:25:12 -0600

>You're on dangerous ground, Eric :-)
>Why should we choose the Vario-Apo-Elmarit 70-180/2.8 over the 3 times
>cheaper Nikkor 80-200/2.8 IF-ED for only "that little extra"... (because,
>let's face it, the difference in ultimate image quality is surely not
>proportional to the difference in price).

Good question, Pascal.

Because this lens is really amazing. I took a picture today of a helicopter
doing some heavy lifting. And when I blew the picture way up, I was amazed
at the edge sharpness. I've never seen a Canon or Nikon lens perform with
such perfection in sharpness at large enlargements. It's a phenomenal lens.
And I didn't pay 3 times as much, I might add. I never planned to own it,
actually. Just got lucky.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Men say they know many things; but lo! they have taken wings
The arts and sciences, and a thousand appliances
The wind that blows is all that any body knows.
  -Thoreau