Subject: [Leica] Re: More Sharpness is Highly Overratted
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 10:46:48 -0800

>Jim wrote:
>
>>Which, I suspect, look the same as your Leica pinhole
>>photographs. Crappy.
>
> However, Charles wrote,
>I'm suprised that you would characterize pinhole photography as crappy
>and seem to dismiss it outright. On occasion the results
>are stunning.
>
>charles

Well Charles, my observation is that you cannot take good pinhole
photographs unless you get completely immersed in the "technology". Every
casual pinhole photograph, pretty much, looks the same. A lucky shot now
and again may stand out, but for the most part, they all look crappy.

There are lots of people who have perfected the process and their work is
stunning. But just poking a hole in a body cap, pointing the camera, and
pushing the button, won't do it. And this is about as far as most people
go. So If you take it to the next level, great. We (I) would like to see
your results.

It's not that I'm dismissing pinhole photography, it's just that the
process doesn't interest me.

There are film developers made from Vitamin C and Aspirin. This doesn't
interest me either.

But I am happy for others who are.

The best to you,

Jim