Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica as a business
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 21:56:59 +0100

Raimo,

Why? Manufacturing costs in Germany are some of the highest in the world. Many
quality German products are manufactured elsewhere these days: Mercedes in
Alabama, BMW in South Carolina (or is it the other way round?), etc. Many
Japanese products are made outside Japan for the same reason. As long as I can
be sure that the product is made to German or Japanese standards, I have no
problem with the actual assembly having been performed elsewhere.

Remember, the goal of all this would be for Leica to survive. If they follow
the current trajectory of their financial much longer, the survival of the
company will be in question.

Nathan

Raimo Korhonen wrote:

> To move out of Germany would bet lethal.
> Raimo
> photos at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen
> nyt myös Kameralehden juttuja suomeksi--

Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium

Photography page:  http://members.tripod.com/~belgiangator/index.html
Motorcycle page:  http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/1704/index.html