Subject: Re: [Leica] Speaking of the 19 Elmarit-R
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 18:49:12 +0000

I've got the earlier version.  First off, it's one big heavy piece of
equipment. Second, despite a threading of 82 mm, Leica recommended
against the use of filters - the newer version has an internal filter
turret. That may be a consideration if you think you'll need, for
example, an FL-D or a polarizer.  I did try an appropriately sized
UVa filter but found that the filter glass would touch the protruding
front element.  The filter was hastily returned for a refund.

As for vignetting, I've seen only a slight hint in a couple of negs
where the lens was wide open, but given the scene I was shooting, I'm
not sure whether the "dark" was part of the shadows in the
environment itself.  Angular distortion at the edges comes with the
territory with this focal length - the same sort of thing appeared
with a Nikon 20mm.

Roy

On 29 Nov 98 at 11:41, budcook@ibm.net wrote:

> I've been interested in this lens for some time but since I have
> only Leicaflexes, the current version won't work for me.
>
> Are there any showstopper defects in the first version with the
> cams? Vignetting, distortion, soft edges, other?
>
> TIA,
> Bud

   Roy C. Zartarian
   "A prophet is not without honor except in his
    own land and among his own people"

Written with the assistance of a labrador retriever whose chin is on the key board. All typos are his fault.