Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R 180mm lens
From: Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 08:30:28 -0600

Sattha,
I've owned a 180 Elmar-R since 1977.  I bought it in Germany from a very
knowledgeable dealer who recommended it over the original 180 Elmarit-R.

I've taken many comparison shots between this lens and my other R lenses using
Kodachrome and I can't tell the difference in resolution, color transmission or
contrast when the slides are projected with a Prodovit.

This is a very convenient lens for travel.  It's close to the size of a 135 and
is not nearly as heavy as the Elmarits.

The only possible drawback I can think of with the lens is that it's too slow to
use conveniently with a 2X extender. However, f/4 is a perfectly usable aperture
with this lens.

BTW, one problem with the 180 f/3.4 is that it won't focus very closely.  This
could be a serious problem for some users.

Bud