Subject: RE: [Leica] Why R sales down...
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 10:23:08 -0500

> >And as for capitalism...it is what makes the world go round...and makes
> >Leica produce the M....it sells...
>
> Yes, of course... if I made similar, contrary statements, I would
> immediately
> have the whole dog team behind me, flaming me, burning my ass. You've got
> strange standards for "tolerance", gentlemen.
>
> And as for capitalism...go to South East Asia, go to Russia, go
> to Africa,
> go to Latin America, anywhere, and see how the world goes round,
> and for whom.
> Capitalism is full of inner antagonisms, and is bound to die. This is
> evident. You are photographers, so open your eyes!

Oh, what fun!!

I'm not defending capitalism, or what has been done in the name of
capitalism/imperialism....But....Russia? Hmmmmmmm, I seem to remember that
the Russians/Soviets had a somewhat different system for some 70 years. And
they kept telling us that they would bury Capitalism and ultimately prevail.
Let's see, what did they call it?Ummmm, Communism, that's it! What ever
happened to that idea?

Seriously though...I would suggest that what is "wrong" with Africa is the
legacy of 19th Century imperialism and the forcing of any non-tribal,
exploitive system on various tribal peoples...To say nothing of the raping
of natural resources, etc. etc....

So, about photography...