Subject: Re: [Leica] R wish List/Why R sales down
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 07:45:16 -0600

>Think about it; stimulating sales!  Why did Leica concentrate
>on that "hefty" R 35-70 f2.8 & not update their R line with
>lenses similar to the new M "gems"?

Because Leica feels the 35 Summicron is already good enough that they had
to fill another part of their line first. We have no idea what Leica market
research shows them. It's easy to criticize according to what we want, but
Leica has to build their lens lines according to what they perceive is the
need. Now, what I wonder is why make only 500 of these 35-70 2.8 lenses? Of
course, considering the luke-warm reception that lens has already recieved
on the LUG, maybe that's the answer.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

 On one hand, I'm indecisive; but on the other, I'm not.