Subject: Re: [Leica] Digilux
From: Dave Richards <dprichards@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:36:57 -0700

>Has anyone purchased the Digilux?  How does it compare in quality and
>technology to other digital cameras?
>I have been very happy with the M6 and 35mm 1.4 lens, but feel I should get
>some involvement in digital.

I've recently purchased a digilux but I haven't used it enough to know
whether or not I like it.  It's my first foray into digital potography.
Picture quality is okay but certainly not close to what I have come to
expect from my Leica lenses.

What I think it has going for it are the ability to view exposures right
after they have been made, delete the ones that aren't acceptable, and
reshoot if possible.  That and the ability to import directly into a PC.

Offsetting that are a lack of lens choices, an overall digital softness in
the image (as opposed to the kind of softness I've experienced with
silver-based images), and a fairly slow recycle time.

Does convenience and instant gratification outweigh quality and
versatility?  Not for me.  It has a place in my arsenal but will never
replace my (current favorite) M6.

Dave