Subject: [Leica] The Contax
From: Oddmund Garvik <garvik@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 04:02:50 +0100 (MET)

At 16:23 29/11/1998 -0800, Jim Brick wrote:
>Hi Oddmund,
>
>I welcome you back to the LUG. <snip>

Thank you!

>What happened to your Contax TVS which you used to rave about?

I am still using it, and I still think it is an excellent and handy camera.
Kyocera just introduced an upgrade though, the TVS II. I might change the old
one if I can afford it. I bought it second-hand, and will not loose too
much. The new one has a brighter viewfinder with bright-line frame, like a
rangefinder, and a slightly modified lens design, still a 28-56 mm
Vario-Sonnar. There are no more "Panaorama" mode which doesn't hurt me at
all! I could even have been without the new automatic self closing lens
barrier, as I use a filter and a lens hood. But all in all it seems to be an
intelligent upgrade. I don't understand why Leica didn't make such a camera,
instead of this fully automatic Minilux Zoom. Why didn't they "upgrade" the
viewfinder? Why didn't they keep the manual controls? Strange...

>And we would really like to hear about what you have been doing,
>photographically, over during your absence.

I'll be back with that. Life is getting busy on the LUG. I don't know if I
can handle all the messages.

>You obviously are aware that your reputation proceeded you. And everyone
>expects you to live up to it... ;-)
Well, let's wait and see...

>Again, welcome back.

Thanks again, Jim!

>Jim (no longer using uranium toner) Brick

I am into platinum processing now, just studying for the moment. I always
thought it would be nice making my own paper...

Oddmund