Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V5 #5
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 21:54:38 -0000

... while Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> wrote:

>I cannot conceive of a truly apolitical life.  This is bound to ooze
over into our photography.

High-class BS!

I take pictures in order to record something I've seen which I want to
be able to see again at a later date, or share with others -- either
family, friends, or the readers of my magazine. Or sometimes I take
pictures just for the pleasure of using a Leica. That's my only reason
for doing it - not politics, or the need to make "some comment on the
incongruities in life".

Greg's posting reminded me of something I'd read earlier today. In
February of last year "Don Bledsoe" bledsoe@micron.net> had written:

"When I go back and read old Leica literature it appears they were
aiming their cameras at everyone, especially the common person who
wanted to record their daily lives, family fun, vacations, events,
etc."

That's what my father did with his Leicas - that's what I do with
mine. I've no children, so I presume that after I "assume room
temperature" my photos will end up in some landfill. But in the
meantime, the reason I'm doing it (taking photos) is to have fun.

Regards,

Doug Richardson

1.