Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M GRIP / Tom's winder
From: AJSymi@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 20:24:16 EST

Ted,

You're a wise man and I appreciate your comments!  However, holding the camera
to your eye or breast and snapping (if you don't get caught) is equally
sneaky.  I agree with you in that I think what has changed since HCB's heyday
is people's attitude.  Did HCB get consent from all of those people he shot?
Did it matter?  I think in year's past people looked at street photography as
"whimsical" or "magic."  Nowadays, invasive.  Again, I think publishing such
shots without consent is wrong if the individual even cares.  My shots will
never go further than the walls of my home or office.  It's funny how Leica
capitalizes on the "Magic Moment" in the style and grace of HCB.  Today,
sadly, the magic moment could be a favorable ruling for the defendant (street
photographer).

Cheers,

Arturo
- ----------------------------------
Ted Grant wrote:

<< I think you may find yourself in danger of confrontation with the method
 you are contemplating, as there is a major difference of holding the camera
 to your eye and being caught, then being polite and talking your way out of
 confrontation.

 Than doing it in a "sneaky manner" as you are suggesting!

 Imagine how you'd feel if you caught some guy taking your picture in a
 manner that made you very uncomfortable and wondering what the hell he was
 doing and why me?

 Tis far better to take your street pictures like a true unobtrusive
 photojournalist than doing it in this manner. But then I come from the old
 school of picture taking, I'm not afraid to put the camera to my eye!

 I'm sure you can get away with it, but is it worth the chance? Today's
 society are not very nice about having their pictures taken on the street
 in a fashion where they consider it an invasion of their privacy.

 But then this is my opinion and others may agree with your method.