Subject: [Leica] The Joy of Monopods
From: Iain.Dawson@ea.gov.au (Iain Dawson)
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 14:25:43 +1000

     Two years ago I aquired a Cullman Magic tripod specifically for
     travelling. I use a fairly heavy Manfrotto normally but for air travel
     I prefer not to lug it around.  I needed something that would easily
     fit in my bag and as this tripod folds flat it seemed ideal. One of
     the legs can be detached and fixed to the centre column to make a
     monopod and it also has a quick release plate.  Although its a bit
     short I find myself using the monopod more and more and often don't
     even bother carrying the rest of the tripod around. The Cullman is not
     perfect (what tripod is?) but with an M6 its a handy combination, even
     with the offset tripod mount. All I need now is for someone to
     manufacture a grip for the M6 that moves the tripod mount not only to
     the centre of the base, but also has a mounting point on the side of
     the camera for vertical shots. This is a feature that should be on all
     cameras other than square format or revolving back models. The only
     one I am aware of that has this facility is the Pentax 645.

     Iain Dawson

     "Exactitude is not truth"