Subject: [Leica] "We already got one!" (opinions)
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 20:47:09 +0000

Jim Hurtubsie wrote:
> Referring to someone's else's personal views as "bs"
> is well, bs.  We have a great variety of users on this
> list and I enjoy reading about how they use their Leicas,
> why they use them and what they use them for.

To Mr. Huttubsie:
Write on, Jim! I couldn't agree more. Many of us admire
Salgado's pictures (taken with M Leicas, to stay ON TOPIC).
Would anyone here argue that one can understand his photographs
apart from any reference to politics? Or Gene Smith's? Or Susan
Meiselas's? Or even Art Wolfe's? Or how about Leni Reifenstahl's
(sp?) or D.W. Griffiths's or Stanley Kubrick's or Steven Spielberg's
films?

I would contend that ALL of the above artists were embedded in
political dialogues of various sorts, and that if we want to
talk about their work, it will be informative to talk about their
politics.

- -Alexey

PS, to Mr. Whalen:
If opinions different from yours so threaten you that you
feel the need not to read them, I would suggest that you
might not be very secure about your opinions.
Alexey Merz | URL: http://www.webcom.com/alexey | email: alexey@webcom.com