Subject: [Leica] unobtrusive techniques
From: nfrnkish@dux4.tcd.ie (Neil Frankish)
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:50:56 +0100

was [Leica] sneak thief photographers!

I would like to hear some the the ways fellow luggers "make themselves
invisible".  snip- --
Michael Garmisa <elmar@nyct.net>

I have two major techniques for being unobtrusive during street photography
- -they even work sometimes!

1. Pretend to be a tourist, and point your camera at everything and pretend
to take pictures of everything (use this to check exposure range etc). In a
static environment, the people look your way at first and then thereafter
ignore you.

2. After studying the photos of HCB, I noticed that in a lot of his
'environmental' portraits, the person is often beside a photographically
interesting object. Take a photograph of an interesting 'thing' and you can
say that the person is only there by accident, at the 'decisive moment'. By
having the 'thing' in the centre of the frame, the person will likely be at
"the rule of thirds", aiding composition.

Neil Frankish