Subject: [Leica] Short M3 story
From: Arne Helme <arne@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 17:43:21 +0100

Hi everybody,

some time ago I decided to purchase a single stroke M3 as a backup
camera to my M6 and I found one at a local second hand camera shop
that appeared to be in a good condition.  It had some scratches on the
top plate and some of the vulcanite was damaged, but for the rest it
looked quite good.  Also mechanically.  That is, the rangefinder
seemed to be properly aligned and the first couple of films I shot
indicated that the shutter speeds were right.  Then it got colder
outside and suddenly the shutter stopped working.  I decided to send
the camera to my Leica dealer (Dalsheim, NL) for a CLA, and today it
was returned to me.  I was delighted to see that not only are the
shutter speeds OK again, but the vulcanite has been repaired and the
viewfinder cleaned for dust.  I was also informed that there was some
humidity inside the viewfinder, and therefore indeed time for a CLA
for the camera.

Except for the few scratches on the top plate, the camera now looks
good and seems to work perfectly.  Having used M6 for some time I must
say that the frameline setup in the M3 is far easier for me to use; I
alwas found it difficult to make compositions especially with the 90mm
frameline of the M6.  Having read Erwin's review of the new 135/3.4 I
also look forward to use it with the M3 (when this lens can be
delivered in NL...).

Regards,

- -- Arne
| Arne Helme (arne@acm.org)     "We are all in the gutter, but some of us |
| http://www.huygens.org/~arne    are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde |
|    PHONE: +31-53-4894178, FAX: +31-53-4894590, HOME: +31-53-4309352     |
| Informatica/SPA, Univ. Twente, Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, Netherlands   |