Subject: [Leica] Re: Photographing people in public
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 98 06:39:11 +1100

>The M looks like a point and shoot to most people.
>If they don't see a flash go off

I use two cameras for people photography: a Nikon F2
with a DW-1 waist-level finder and a Leica P&S black
plastic mini zoom.  Never use a lens longer than 90mm.

The F2 you can point at people as much as you like,
and get in as close as you like, without anyone
bothering too much.  Some are waiting for you to
raise the camera to your eye so they can pounce on
you, but you never do it so there's no problems.
The waist-level finder lets you compose and focus as
carefully as you like (or dare!)

The mini-zoom - with the red-dot taped up - looks like
any other el'cheapo P&S, so people aren't bothered
either.

What gets a bit tricky though is when I am shooting
up-close candid VRs with a 16mm fisheye.  With this
lens (on a R6.2) you almost literally have to stick
the camera in the target's face to get a detailed
image.  Then there's the monopod, rotating mount
and other VR goodies you have to use to get your
6-shot sequence to align, so you are hardly discrete!
But a bit of quiet confidence though, you can get
away with a fair bit.

In any case, *not* dressing and behaving like a
'photographer' helps.  If anything, I try to always
look like a slightly down-at-heel tourist.  No
photo-vest, no photo bags hanging off my shoulder,
no song-and-dance when taking the shot.

>In our attorney-rich countries, the professional
>street photographer might protect his ass by asking
>the subject to sign an agreement that the picture
>be published.

Luckily in Australia there is no constitutional
right-to-privacy, so provided you don't defame
people, you can photograph as much as you like.

Oddly though, you cannot make 'candid' sound recordings
of people as it prohibited by various listening device
legislation.  Fair enough I say, but inconsistent.

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth
www.nemeng.com/vr