Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographing people in public
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 19:47:03 -0700

I am familiar with the problems of photographing in public places. No one
has mentioned it, but my perception is that people are much less tolerant
about being included in photographs than only 10 or 20 years ago. I never
used to give it a thought, but got scolded a couple of times.
Now I rarely photograph anyone without first asking permission. I think it
has greatly improved my photos of people. Moreover, I have gotten closer to
people, and leanred things aobut them that I would not have otherwise been
privy to. I understand the tradition of "street photography" and realize
that it requires stealth. Those who wish to practice this art must somehow
manage to cope with the cultural changes (I'm speaking of the United States
Southwest) that have complicated it.
Sincerely,
Joe Stephenson