Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG Netiquette & Mr. Garvik
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 07:05:36 +0100

When I joined the LUG in April, there were occasional messages referring to a
mystical character named Oddmund who had been on the list in the distant past. I
became very curious about this man who could inspire such strong emotions among
some LUGgers. My curiousity became even stronger in the days leading up to his
reappearance because of the hype that preceded it. Now Oddmund is here, I have
read his messages, and I frankly do not understand what the fuss is all about.
Oddmund appears to be a completely normal, Norwegian chap living in France (yea,
fellow exiled Scandinavian!!). He has quite clearly left-leaning views on life,
so what? There are quite a few right-wingers on this list, and it shows in their
comments and/or signature lines, and nobody makes a big deal out of them. While
I may not share Oddmund's political views in their entirety, I have a lot of
sympathy with them, and in any event I respect them and his right to express
them, just as is the case for all of us. I personally find some of the
right-wing views expressed by some repulsive but again, everyone has a right to
think and say what they want in this list and on the Net in general. That is one
of the reasons why the Internet has the potential to be such a wonderfully
subversive influence on various dictatorships around the world, and the
dictators know it too (c.f. Malaysia or China).

Nathan

Dan Post wrote:

> Oddmund wrote:
> "Trying to stop me is useless.
> Preventing the thought is impossible. It would be like trying to stop the
> rain. "
>
> I am Oddmund of Borg, resistance is futile- prepare to be discombobulated-
>
> Hey- let's quit picking on him for a few days and see what develops! He is a
> Leicaphile, at least! We're not gonna change his spots- go with the flow!
> Chill til the next episode!
>
> Dan ( Prozac w-w-w-w-orks for m-m-me)
>
> dwpost@msn.com

- --