Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographing people in public
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 13:36:45 -0300

Ted said:

>Two things:
>
>If you think this is a shot you will really use for publication, then
>depending on her attitude you try to sweet talk her into a posed picture
>taking, then get a release signed.

        I have always said that Photojournalism is social skill and
photography is a technical skill.

        ...and this is what separates the pros from the amateurs when it
comes to "street" or "documentary photography.

        The WORST thing you can do is to go sneaking around, hiding cameras
and "spying". These attempts at being inconspicuous only make you look
suspicious and up to no good.

        The best way to succeed at working on the street is to be open,
friendly and HONEST about what you are doing.  If you are not willing to
meet and talk to people you have no business poking your lens into their lives.

        Being accepted as a part of the street scene is the best way to be
unobtrusive. When I work the streets, be it Sarajevo, Kigali, Port au
Prince, New York or my own small city, I am upfront about who I am and what
I am doing.  A part of that is meeting and talking with the "street life".
When you talk to people you are giving them something about yourself and
they feel more comfortable about having you around...and you get better
pictures.

        This personal interaction is also what will lower your odds of being
attacked or robbed on the "mean streets".

        If you are honest you will get honest pictures...and like Ted says,
sometimes that requires a little human interaction and "sweet talkin'" (y'all!)
This works with ladies at the Church garden party or teenage thugs with AK's.

...of course, if you personality doesn't allow you to be a little humble,
open and cheerful, you may have a problem. :^)

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
<http://www.straylight.ca/locke/>
"I've finally figured out what's wrong with photography.
It's a one-eyed man looking through a little 'ole.
Now, how much reality can there be in that?" -- David Hockney