Subject: [Leica] news photos on private property (was sneak thief photographers!)
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@jnlcom.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:03:26 -0600

Francois,

I was commenting on how the law in the United States looks at the
gathering of news on private property.  If something of newsworthy
interest occurs on private property and the police grant you access under
the "public right to know" then you are well within the law to
photograph.  However, if you are asked to leave by the property owners,
you are supposed to leave and quit shooting on the premises.  TV often
ignores this ruling filming the entire time they are being escorted out.

This ruling was from a case in the late 60's early 70's in which there
was a house fire in or near Jacksonville, Fla.  A young girl was killed
in the fire.  The photographer from the local paper was allowed into the
scene to photograph by the police/fire department.  He made a photo of
the silhouette on the floor where the girl was killed. (this photographer
happens to be my best friend so I have gotten this story first hand, as
well as studying the case in Media Law in college and reading about it in
Ken Kobre's photojournalism book)

The photo ran in the next days paper with a story on the fire.

The girls parents were out of town and upon returning they saw the story.
 They sued the paper claiming their privacy had been violated as the
photo was made on private property.

The courts ruled that the paper was well with in the law as a news
gathering organization, and no privacy had been violated.

Please note that I am NOT commenting on my feelings on doing this, nor am
I saying the parents were wrong to feel violated.  I can't imagine how I
would react to seeing such a photo, even though it is the kind of thing I
have covered for the majority of my life.  The original poster was
wanting to know about the legality of photographing people for newspapers
in the United States, and that is what I was commenting on.

I have been threatened with arrest many times while covering news events,
most news photographers have had run ins with police who do not
understand the law and react according to personal feelings, such as you
stated.  Personal feelings and what is legal are two entirely different
things. Often news photographers have to cover things they don't like
covering, are in situations that are dangerous and scary.  It is our job
to get the photos that inform people of what has happened.

One incidence where I was threatened with arrest I was covering the
arrest of a juvenile who had shot a "friend" between the eyes with a 22
while playing basketball.  The police informed me that since the boy was
a minor it was illegal for me to photograph him and that if I made any
photos they were going to arrest me.

I radioed my editor told him what was up and they said "shoot the photos,
we'll bail you out of jail and sue the PD, and we will make the
determination on if to publish the photo of a minor."  I was standing on
a public street photographing the police walking him down a public street
to the cruiser.

I have shown up at news scenes and had police tell me that I can't
photograph.  These news events were on public property and to tell me I
can't photograph is just not right.  As long as I stay out of the way,
outside of the crime area and do not block any access for emergency
personnel I can photograph.  And I ALWAYS made sure to park way out of
the way.  The absolute last thing I ever wanted to do was cause someone
to die because I had parked and blocked the access of an ambulance or
other emergency vehicle.  I have seen many TV cars pull right up and
block the whole road and such and can understand why police get
frustrated with the media and just jump on anyone with the media.  Heck
if I was a cop and had to deal with the way some of my fellow journalists
act to them I would get sick and tired of it also.  I always treat the
police with respect and in every city I worked in I became friends with
both the police and fire departments and usually got access where others
were denied.

But as a news photographer, no matter how hard you try, you will find
yourself at odds with the police at times.  And then you have to know
when to stand your ground and when to back down.  Much of this is just
learned from experience.

FBrunelle@aol.com wrote

>Harrison,
>I do not agree with your prior statement.  I believe that if you are on
>private property, it is common sense that you know you should not be there in
>the first place without permisssion.  Publication of any photo without the
>consent of the owner of the grounds where you stand would seem to me as
>trespassing on his/her rights to privacy.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
new book at http://www.volmania.com