Subject: [Leica] Leica Seals
From: salex@idt.net (sam alexander)
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 16:49:47 -0500 (EST)

Can anyone enlighten me about the small black seal above the M lens mount.
Didn't an L stamped into the wax indicate that the camera was never
worked on (opened up)? I looked at a friend's recently purchased M3 (in
virtually new condition) and noticed that there was nothing stamped in. . .just
slightly uneven wax. I checked my own M6 bodies. . .an older classic
(never repaired) also had no marking . . .but a more recent M6HM had
a distinct x stamped in.  What's the story and what happened to the L?