Subject: Re: [Leica] Request for Advice
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 19:05:54 -0800

Walt wrote:

>Damn lucky grandkids, eh folks?  Ted, ya need any more family?  You can
>process my film anytime ya  want.....I'm a crotchety ol' fart, but from
>what you've
told me, hell you're so damn old you could be my older brother.>>>>

Hi Walt,

Well I guess I can't think of too many folks I'd rather be an older brother
to!:)

Well you know when you're younger and the career seems all important when
you're off charging round the world doing all those exciting assignments,
OK they seemed exciting at the time, and picture taking was all there was
in life?

Well for all you younger lads and lasses with families I've got a bit of
non-Leica advise for you.  The assignments aren't the be all to end all
unless you keep them and your family in perspective.

I'm very fortunate that I have a very strong minded wife for the family
being looked after while I went off doing my thing and leaving her to raise
our four children. And that's how I ended up with 10 grandchildren. It
seems 4 children, well no, only three of the 4 begat 10 grandchildren. :)

So now I try to have all the quality time I missed in my youth as my
children were growing-up. Although all four know how to shoot, process film
and print only two of them are professionaly in the photography profession.
One, number 2 son, is an outstanding sport's photographer and my youngest
daughter has her own Sports Stock photo agency.

So the family is very photo conscious and with the grandchildren becoming
interested and showing talent already, I'm sure there'll be more
photographers in the family than you can shake a stick at.

<<<< but from what you've told me, hell you're so damn old you could be my
older brother>>>>>>>>>

Well the number is 70 next big one and it's the first time I have ever
related to the numbers of age. Cause it seems when your 70 that's a pretty
high number towrds the big darkroom in the sky. But hell man, I've got too
many grandchildren to pack it in as I've got to get them all to learn how
to take pictures.

I even had one of them take me to her school a couple of years ago for
"show and tell" class. "This is my famous photographer grandfather who was
at the Olympics and he's going to tell us about being famous!" :)

I was all teary eyed and needed a moment to get a grip on myself. So it's
no wonder I want to spend so much time with my grand children because I
missed so much of their parents growing up.

And Walt, about doing yer film? As much as I like you, yer on yer own good
buddy! Leica or no! :)

Got the developing tanks ready for the grandkids! :)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant