Subject: [Leica] Identification of odd shutter speed knob on IIIc
From: rurmonas@senet.com.au (Richard Urmonas)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 16:31:51 +1030 (CST)

I am hoping someone can identify why the shutter speed knob on my IIIc
differs from most.  Rather than a round knob with a knurled edge, my
IIIc is fitted with a "tri-lobal" knob.  That is it is round but has
three projections on it.  The overall shape is not unlike that of a Wankel
engine rotor.  At the base of the knob (i.e. next to the body) there is a cam
whose peak starts at the 1/40 marking and ends about half way to the 1/60
marking.  The knob looks genuine in all respects, the material and finish
are identical to the rest of the camera, the lettering matches the rest of
the camera and is consistent with "standard" knobs.

Further information.  Serial number is 379600 which places it in the war time
production.  It has had a majour overhaul at some time as the body has the
later style (rewind lever is NOT raised on a step).

I suspect this knob may have originated for some special application during
the war, but would be interested to know its purpose etc.

Thank you.
- --
Richard Urmonas
rurmonas@senet.com.au