Subject: [Leica] Casey's Camera
From: "William H. Cassing" <wcassing@elkgrove.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 23:03:17 -0800

Thanks to all who offered suggestions, both via private e-mail and on this
site, regarding my eight year old grandson's first camera.  That is, thanks
to all except those who suggested that he deserved a new M6 or R8.  May you
few be blessed with a house full of teenagers who will take pictures with
nothing less than M6 .85X TTL's with at least six lenses each, who will
drive nothing less than BMW 735i's and who will wear clothes from nowhere
less than Nordstrom.  Seriously though, I appreciate all the help.

I finally bought Casey a used Nikon Nice*Touch 2.  It is a very simple fixed
focus camera with a 35mm macro (yes, I said macro) lens (the dealer wasn't
sure, but believes it is an f3.5), an on-off switch incorporated into the
lens cover and fool-proof loading.  The flash has only two settings - Auto
and Off.  It is light and easy to hold, but built like a tank.  It is a
Nikon, a fact that will, I assume, someday become important to this
yuppie-to-be (other kids wear jeans, he wears Dockers, sports a set of
junior Vaurnets, and ties a sweater around his shoulders...).  If he comes
along as I expect, his birthday next year may bring him a Leica Z2 - or even
a used Minilux.  But I digress.  The camera came with a fitted case and has
a 60 day warranty - all at a reasonable price.  It will be presented with
two 4-packs of Fuji Superia 400 and a check to his mother to pay for the
processing.  I hope to be able to visit him (Northern California, about 5
hours from where I live) to give him some pointers.  (Who am I kidding?  Me,
a teacher?  Forty-three years of photography and I'm still a beginner.  Then
again, maybe that's why I haven't lost my passion for photography.)

Anyway, thanks again.  If you're interested, I'll keep you posted about his
progress.

Bill Cassing