Subject: [Leica] was: Casey's Camera, now passion!
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 07:34:17 -0800

Bill Cassing wrote:

>Thanks to all who offered suggestions, both via private e-mail and on this
>site, regarding my eight year old grandson's first camera.

 I hope to be able to visit him (Northern California, about 5
>hours from where I live) to give him some pointers.  (Who am I kidding?  Me,
>a teacher?  Forty-three years of photography and I'm still a beginner.  Then
>again, maybe that's why I haven't lost my passion for photography.)>>>>>>>

G'day Bill,

He'll enjoy it no matter what make. You'll be suprised to see the magic of
a child's eye in his pictures, they'll not likely be "picture perfect."
However, the exciting part is his progression if the enthusiasm stays and
doesn't wane after a few weeks of carrying it around. That may or may not
happen depending on how quickly he starts to see finished pictures.
Crucial point!! seeing finished pictures, "good, bad or ugly!"m This allows
for your enthusiasm and encourgement and a start of explaing what worked
and what didn't. Be gentle!

I found if there was a long delay "using up the roll" and seeing finished
prints  they begin to loose the enthusiasm despite the first excitment of
having a camera.

If you just let him blaze away with the first roll and shoot everything you
like about your friends or the yard or his toys is helpful as it gives him
a subject to look at.He requires a very simple subject to look for then he
has a goal rather than "here's your camera go take pictures!"  By the way
this not to say you shouldn't let him "just go shoot whatever he likes on
the first roll."

<<<<<Forty-three years of photography and I'm still a beginner. Then again,
maybe that's why I haven't lost my passion for photography.>>>>>>>

The most significant element for all of us!! "I haven't lost my passion for
photography!"  Ladies and gentlemen, this is the most important element to
our survival as photographers whether amateur or pro. A bushel of Leicas or
whatever without the passion creates a bushel of throw away nothing!"

Loose this "passion" and your relegated to being a "sunday driver" picture
snapper illustrating you know how to expose film with images as exciting as
wet rain on a road. (well that can be very exciting with the right
passion!)

It's the main element that gets you out of bed to shoot sunrises, the
trundling through the woods looking for the fine art rock and fern stuff,
the magic in the expressions of playing children or capturing the :"just
perfect image" of the corporate CEO!

The days I don't have the magic passion flowing is sheer drudgery, work of
the worst kind and generally the pictures are barely acceptable. However,
the "days of passion are lifes blood", you can do no wrong and it creates
such an uplifting spirit of excitment to why you are a photographer.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant