Subject: Re: [Leica] your opinion about G2
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 17:03:07 -0500

All,

I own three M6s w/5 current M lenses. I also own one black G2 w/4 G
lenses and a flash.

The M6s and G2 are complimentary in character, not adversarial. With the
exception of the 35, OPTICALLY, the G series lenses are highly
competitive with the Leica M lenses, at a fraction of their cost.
Mechanically, the Leica lenses are built to different standards, but
this Leica "superiority" is rarely seen in the finished photograph.

Those who complain about the poor investment quality of G equipment are
buying cameras and lenses for the wrong reason.

The G's autoexposure (from 1/4000th to 16s), 4fps motor drive and dual
mode autofocus, in certain everyday circumstances, facilitates
photographs not possible with my treasured Ms.

Those who are dismiss the G series are missing the point. Both G & M
have strengths and weaknesses. Use the tools available to do the best
job you can.

Cheers,

David W. Almy
Annapolis