Subject: Re: [Leica] M6TTL - Leica USA Pres Visit/DOF/Adjustments
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 16:55:30 -0600 (CST)

Sure, Mike, I'd love to have you print my post and give the ol'
Prez a copy.  I'd love to be there in person.  However, don't expect
the president of the company to know a damn thing about the
camera OR photography -- it don't work that way anymore....Probably
an MBA.....BTW, if you get to talk to him, mention that he MIGHT
hire an ad agency, you know, one that doesn't suck........

Oh, also, the 1/3 -- 2/3 rule works with ANY lens on ANY camera....
if the RFDR focuses correctly on the same plane as the film, then
the same rule holds true for a Leica.
The three user (i.e., normal repairman) adjustments on the M-RFDR
are the infinity (the eccentric on the cam-follower), the vertical,
which moves the "swinging-telescope" up and down, and the close-
focus compensation (an eccentric that changes the "length" of the
cam follower arm, which BTW interacts with the infinity adjustment
slightly - requiring repetitive back-and-forth adjustments)  All other
RFDR "adjustments" were locked down in manufacture, and can't be
reliably changed by even Leitz repairmen.  (the position of the
beam-splitter prism, for example is NOT an "adjustment" that can/should
be done outside the factory.)  Of course, the frameline mask can
be adjusted, but that's not a "focus" adjustment.  Normally, the
infinity adjustment should be checked every few years, and the
adjustment "balanced" between a few lenses -- they do vary, but
not more than a "hair".....The vertical (if they EVER get it right
at the factory) should stay for pretty much the life of the
camera, if it isn't banged too hard.....The near-focus (linearity?)
compensation should never be changed if it's right....and again,
for two grand, it damn well should be......but I don't bet on
newer bodies.
Sorry for the length, but there seems to be considerable interest
(which there shouldn't be if they could EVER get it right at the
factory).  The M-rangefinder is the best ever built. Period. The
damn thing can differentiate between 6' and 6'1/2 inches!!! Try it!!
But all of this is useless if it's out of adjustment.  The biggest
bitch I have is the elimination of the eccentric adjustment on the
telescope vertical.....It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen.  It almost
seems that they want you to buy another (out of adjusment) rangefinder
if the vertical is out.....'fraid not, my friend at $500++!!

Best luck to you and say hello to the ol' pres for me.....give my
regards, of course, and this post, too.....

Walt

On