Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica reliablity. was focus.
From: n.b.watson@juno.com (Nigel B Watson)
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 18:14:59 EST

Considering that the LUG represents only a small number of Leica users,
it is probably invalid to infer anything statistically from the posts;
however it would be remiss not to point out that herein are represented a
group of Leica users who tend to use their Leicas at the extremes of its
capabilities.  For example, the number who use the 75 and Noctilux and
shoot wide open in dim light.  At the same time, all here are highly
critical of thei results.  If there are many similar problems noted they
are quite likely more than coincidence (no rangefinder pun intended).   I
tend to shoot mostly at f/8-f/16 for DOF, and rarely if ever faster than
f/4.  Had I not read the posts and gone and checked my M6's, my
rangefinders could have been far out of specification and I might not
have noticed...even though I am certainly highly critical of sharpness.

Regards,
Nigel
On Mon, 7 Dec 1998 17:10:09 -0500 "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
writes:

>> Some of the "problems" posted may have always been with the camera,
>> however, we didn't have the LUG internet to report the situations of
>today
>> in the "olden days" and wouldn't have been aware of them if they
>existed.
>>
>> By the same token, if it appears the QC is out of control, it
>> could be  due
>> to the internet connection making it look greater in number. But
>> in reality
>> the problem could be minuscule in relation to the number of camera
>bodies
>> manufactured each year.
>>
>> ted
> Good point, Ted. It's hard to know whether the existence of the net
>and the
>LUG are bringing a decades old problem to light, or perhaps
>exagerating a
>minor annoyance....

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]