Subject: Re: [Leica] [no Leica] not so Porsche anology
From: WOCCCC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 22:53:01 EST

In a message dated 98-12-07 17:34:04 EST, Paul Schiemer  wrote:

   A 911 is a pig of a car, more a hanger queen than a road king.
   Before you think otherwise- I've owned two modern ones and a handful of
   the older ones (typ. 356), I'm a long time member of the PCA, and am
   active locally in drivers' education events (track related high
   performance driving).  I've recently dumped their latest whiz bang -the
   Boxster- because of recurrent problems with ignition and electrics. >>

as the owner of a current one - '98 993 C4S, older ones (Carrera, SC, etc,)
PCA club racer and long time instructor, I don't agree with the statement.
They are wonderful cars.  Granted the earlier ones were not for everyone.
They could be annoying for daily drivers that would rather not pay attention.
The lack of cup holders and the fact that it is hard to read the newspaper
while cruising to work was a serious problem for many but IMHO, they provide
the most bang for the buck - just like my M6 (hows that for linking in to the
LUG).

To get fully back to the list, I'm starting to look for a 50 1.4 or dare I say
a noct.  interested to hear some comments from the group on the differences in
the various series, both good and bad points, and what one would expect to pay
for one.  My specs are easy, do not care as much about the cosmetics as I do
about the glass, that is, perfect glass and a body that has half the paint
rubbed off is just fine.  This lens is for using, not for display.  I
currently have the current 50 f2 which will go away.