Subject: [Leica] Re: Batteries/reliability
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 16:31:52 -0600

At 02:02 PM 08/12/98 +0200, Christian wrote:

>Reliability is already the biggest thread on the archives. It is going

>out of any proportion. I think it is not QC problems but simply the

>downside of the Leica myth: the average Leica buyer has unreasonable

>expectations.

I think you may have a good point here.  However, I don't think that the
average leica buyer has _unreasonable_ expectations.

   The average Leica buyer has much _higher_ expectations of the
equipment.  I think this may be due to the fact that Leica users tend to
be more experienced and more discerning photographers.  The high cost of
the equipment certainly has a lot to do with it.  When paying premium
prices for equipment, Leica users expect to get premium quality, and
there is nothing wrong with that.

   Part of this demand for high quality also has to do with the way
Leicas are marketed.  The quote below illustrates this.  It is taken from
a Leica brochure:

The Leica M6 stands for reliable functioning in any conceivable
situation, continuous high performance, stability in value and supreme
durability. This is guaranteed not only by the choice of best materials,
but also by state-of-the-art manufacturing techniques and the exceptional
Leica quality control standards -- Made in Germany.

</paraindent>