Subject: [Leica] Lens coatings
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 08:35:42 -0800

Frank,

Since I'm not an optical engineer, I only have the knowledge that I gleaned
from reading. I accept your explanation below as it is obvious that you
know a lot more about this than I.

Why I speak of the front and rear outside surfaces and coating, is because
I have a Leica document (it's here somewhere) that said that when they
developed some of their special glass, they did not coat the internal lens
surfaces, they only coated the external (front and rear) surfaces. They
said that the glass had such high transmittance, that no coating would help.

This is in a fairly old document, and I cannot, at this very moment, come
up with it. But I know it's here in my library and would be happy to send
along the reference when I do come across it again.

Thanks for the optics lesson,

Jim