Subject: Re: [Leica] Halogen light and lenses
From: "Mikiro Mori" <arbos3@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 17:58:40 CET

Gary D. Whalen wrote:

>Do any of you have any thoughts or ideas concerning the specs and/or
>the halogen light check?  Is this a Leica QC problem or normal in all
>lenses?  Also, my friend ordered a brand new R8 and the glass in the
>veiwfinder was scratched.

When you introduce a strong ray of light (not necessarily of halogen)
into lenses and look into them from the other side (without letting the
ray enter your eyes), you can usually see beautiful specs, scratches,
and bubbles.  As far as I checked my lenses, such dirts were found more
in R than in M and other Japanese brands (Kyocera-Zeiss and Minolta).
One repairman told me that German Zeiss lenses are more expensive than
Kyocera-Zeiss on the used lens market because they have more specs
inside! (He was joking.)  I understand what you mean. Expensive lenses
should be cleaner even if such specs usually do not harm image quality.
But don't be too nervous.  If you are over fifty, you have a lot of nice
specs in the lenses of your own eyes but can enjoy good vision.  These
specs will eventually develop to be cataracts in human eyes, though. ;-)

Mikiro