Subject: RE: [Leica] CLA - Incredible Leicas -50 below!
From: "Tim Atherton" <timphoto@nt.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:10:22 -0700

Well Ted,

I have never quite hit -50c, but I once tried to use my M6 at -48c during my
sojourn in Tuktoyaktuk.  I think the body might have kept going, but the
lenses froze up solid. Literally, the grease thickened up so much you would
have needed a pipe wrench to focus. In fact, it would happen at -40c (which
I guess is also -40f), but not quite as quickly.

Mind you, it wasn't long after the lens froze up that I didn't have anything
functioning either! - Just wanted to go out and photograph on the coldest
day I've ever known.

BTW, my Bombardier Skidoo kept on going - guess those Quebcois know how to
make em!

Tim A

(from an unseasonably warm -7c Yellowknife)