Subject: [Leica] Incredible Leicas -50 below!
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 16:19:40 -0800

Tim Atherton wrote:

<<<<<the Inuit advice is don't exert yourself at these temperatures, just
move more slowly - perspiration soaked clothing is a killer in such a
situation).

>Really, I think I should take up photography in a warmer climate!>>>>>

Hi Tim,

There isn't anything like eskimo (inuit) common sense for surviving in the cold.

I never rush to do anything in the arctic, besides as soon as it's wheels
down my bdy knows it's going into a no good rotten lousy weather situation
and it automatically goes into "slo-mo" operation. :)

Folks who've never worked under these conditions have absolutely no idea
what it's like and how much energy it takes to keep mobile. Not only is it
the clothing but all gear inside as well. Like it ain't flying around your
naked shoulders on a California beach! :)

As far as the body heat and cameras, that's why I always have the light
weight vest as it seems to take care of condensation, as well as not moving
quickly and getting all worked up.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant