Subject: [Leica] Re: Halogen light and lenses
From: n.b.watson@juno.com (Nigel B Watson)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:46:09 EST

Perhaps your library needs updating.  I called Hasselblad.  They said
that cooling bubbles were a fact with very early rare-earth glasses back
in the 40's and 50's, but if found in a modern lens should be immediately
returned to them for replacement.  He said that something describable as
a "huge bubble" (in his words, huge would be anything more than 0.5mm in
diameter) would not be considered passable for a Hasselblad lens.   Just
to check, I called both Leica and Nikon service, and they said exactly
the same thing:  bubbles are a thing of the past and no longer considered
acceptible given the performance capabilities and tolerances of the
latest lenses.

Regards,
Nigel

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:39:06 -0800 tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
writes:

>Please read up on high end optical glass manufacturing as in Leica,
>Zeiss,
>Nikon and others. Bubbles occur in the cooling and under the
>circumstance
>have no effect at all. Why? Look it up!

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]