Subject: Re[2]: [Leica] Still and motion pictures
From: Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 11:46:51 -0500

     Hi, Whoever-you-are,

     Thanks for your comments.  By "accurate interpretation" I meant that
     in addition to our subjectivities, there is also an objective reality
     that we may attempt, albeit imperfectly, to get at; and that by giving
     some context to a still photo's particular slice of time, a motion
     picture may more easily enhance the accuracy (reduce the subjectivity)
     of a viewer's interpretation.  Certainly, as you point out, much of
     "what comes before or after the 'moment' may be irrelevant."  But I
     was not talking about everything that randomly comes before and after
     the moment, but rather only the "moments that led to it and the
     moments that resulted from it"---that is to say, only the moments (or
     perhaps more precisely, only the events in those moments) that were
     relevant to that slice of time, or to put it another way, only those
     moments of cause (before) and effect (after).  Thus a motion picture
     may lend itself to this enhanced "accuracy," and on the other hand, a
     still photo may lend itself more readily to the conveyance of an
     artist's (photographer's) subjective viewpoint (which is NOT to say
     that a motion picture cannot be made to distort reality, NOR that a
     still photograph cannot accurately represent it).

     I hope that explanation helps.  I don't disagree with anything you've
     said; we're rather just talking about somewhat different things. :)

     Art Peterson
     Alexandria, VA