Subject: Re: [Leica] Bubbles, coating and all that
From: n.b.watson@juno.com (Nigel B Watson)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 20:10:26 EST

Erwin makes the point clear.  Bubbles which are taken into account in the
design are ok.  But, how does the consummer know if the bubbles in his
lens are what the designer took into account or if there are a few more
that slipped by QC?  Since I can't possibly make that judgment, my only
safe recourse is to insist on lenses in which my eyes can not detect
*any* bubbles.  None of my lenses have bubbles I can see, and even if
they don't perform any better than those that have bubbles, I'm certainly
no worse off for having been "picky".  I prefer the bowl of soup
*without* the fly in it, even if the fly is dead.

Regards,
Nigel

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998 20:30:56 +0100 Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
writes:
>The designer then can choose beforehand what type of optical glass he
>needs
>and how high an amount of  bubbles he can  handle in his design.
 <snip>
 Any
>respectible designer knows about this and will ensure that he selects
>glass
>that will not degrade the image beyond the tolerated optical
>aberrations
<snip>
>So do not worry. Bubbles are optically harmless when the desiger is a
>responsable girl or guy, but may be unsettling emotionally.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]