Subject: [Leica] 75 summilux...the 300B of photography?
From: "Isaac H Crawford" <eyes1@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 20:59:26 -0500

I've been mucking about with this lens for a couple of months, and it
reminds me a lot of the famous Westren Electric 300B vaccum tube in many
ways. First off, if you're not familier with the tube, it has a reputation
for sonic purity, not necessairly on the test bench, but to the ear...things
just sound "right". I've noticed the 75 summilux has an amazing ability to
be accurate, but not brutal with people...a highly commendable aspect. The
300b is similsar in its ability to be accurate, but not harsh or
clinical...does anyone else see the comparison?

BTW, does the 50 summicron and the 35 summilux-m (non-aspheric) "look" like
the 75? You know, in its bokeh, its look wide open, and its color rendition
(especially wide open)?

Isaac