Subject: [Leica] screens
From: "Gib Robinson" <robinson@sfsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 20:27:54 -0800

Gary Whalen wrote:

  I would appreciate any user info on the different attributes and
qualities of the 5 available focusing screens for the R camera.  I have
heard conflicting reports concerning the type of screen and the use of
the camera.  ie  macro, telephoto, architectural etc.  What screens are
you using and for what purpose?

I own the standard issue with the split image in the center but find that it
does, in fact, go dark in the middle at inconvenient times and is more
distracting than the matte screen I use in both R4s bodies. I use the plain
matte version without the grid because I most often take photos in which the
grid would be irrelevant at best. For me the matte screen is the best
"general purpose" screen because I often use a long lens or do macro work.
That's where they traditionally make the most difference, I think. I used to
keep a "standard issue" split screen in one body but I often found myself
using the "wrong" body so I gave up and use the same screen on both.  I have
never considerd changing screens on the fly, although I understand people do
it.  It's hard enough for me to keep stray bits of things off my screens
when I'm working with them indoors.

- --G