Subject: Re: [Leica] American cameras
From: Kekfoto@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 00:14:56 EST

Nigel, the Kodak Retina (all models) were manufactured by Eastman's German
branch in Sttutgart. The Kodak Ektra was all American, another fine example of
EKC's premier apparatus designer Joseph Mihalyi, (1926-1954) despite what some
Photographica "experts" have written. One has only to review the Patents.
Mihalyi was also responsible for the Super Kodak Six-20, the Kodak Medalist,
the Kodak Bantam Special, (Teague did the exterior only) and several other
landmark photographic instruments including the M-10 AA Fire Control Height
and Rangefinder during WWII for which he received a Citation of Merit from
President Truman. I'm not well versed in optical apparatus history, but that
M-10 I believe was the first optical sighting device to employ penta prisms,
because as Mihalyi was quoted to have said,".....the boys had to be able to
see those planes correctly!"

                                                              Kirk