Subject: [Leica] Re: consolidating my photo system....
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 06:20:44 -0600

At 10:15 PM 12/12/98 -0800, Francesco wrote:
>I agree that the M6 is ideal in many ways for street photography,
>but the times when I need a 21 or 24 lens, a finder is an
>inconvenience, and the times when I need a 180, the M6 is useless.
>   I am starting to think that the perfect small R kit is an
>R8, 19/2.8, 35/1.4, 80/1.4, and 180/2.8.  I just wish Leica
>would update the wide angles to ASPH.

This sounds like the classic argument for keeping both the M and R systems,
Francesco.  Each has its own particular strengths. If your photographic
interests cover a wide variety of techniques and subject matter, it is
desirable to have both.  Use the system that lends itself best to a
particular application.  Over the past few weeks your posts have shown some
hesitancy about parting with either your M or R system.  If you can, hold
on to both. If it is difficult to justify that financially, trim down the
number of lenses and accessories to the ones which enable you to exploit
the advantages of a specific system, or the ones you use most frequently.
Trying to decide whether to keep the M or R system is a no-win situation
for you; regardless which one you keep, there will be times when you will
regret having sold the other one.